Who Should Attend?
A five-day course for school coaches and coaches who coach teenage players. This course runs alongside our Intermediate Players' Course for promising rugby players aged 13 to 15 years.
- You will have the opportunity to interact with the coaches and players on the course applying skills and techniques learnt, taking part in discussions and asking questions.
- You will be provided with a framework to identify talent, increase your positional knowledge, analyse performance and design a strategy and game plan.
- Our specialist coaches will work in mini unit situations with players on the Junior Development Course and you will have the opportunity to observe and interact with these specialists during this time. You will also focus on the areas of coaching you wish to develop further.
- IRANZ also employs specialists in rugby specific conditioning, individual and team skills, mental toughness and nutrition and injury prevention. You will have the opportunity to learn from and interact with these experts during the course. This course will provide you with solid knowledge, different perspectives and a challenging and interactive environment.
- The cosmopolitan mix of coaches we have on each course creates an infectious and highly stimulating environment and a sharing of ideas that benefit all. IRANZ aims to provide a service to those in rugby who wish to upskill and achieve and will provide the steps to help coaches and players on their way.
- Planning the Season - the Rugby Programme
- Rugby Specific Conditioning
- Designing a Strategy and Game Plan
- Skill Development
- Continuity and Basic Patterns
- Sequencing from Set Piece
- Individual and team skills
- Scrum and the Tight Five (front row alignment, locks, loose forwards)
- Kick offs and Mauls
- Lineouts (procuring the ball, lifting and support)
- Creation and Exploitation of Space
- Back attack
- Back defence
- Counter attack
- Mental toughness
- Analysing performance and remedial coaching
Course tutors will be selected from the following:
- Chris Boyd
- Peter Russell
- Dave Ellis
- Wayne Taylor
- Ian Jones
- Steve Gordon
- Richard Loe
- Murray Mexted
- Andre Bell
- Jeff Wilson
- Christian Cullen
- Plus other guest coaches
For coaches and players who reside outside New Zealand
NZ $2200 plus 15% GST
For New Zealand resident coaches and players prices quoted are inclusive of GST.
NZ $2200 including 15% GST
Prices do not include travel to Palmerston North, but do include all academy and course related costs such as meals and accommodation and transfers from Palmerston North airport (if applicable) to the Sport and Rugby Institute, Palmerston North.
50% deposit on acceptance of application
Balance of 50% due six weeks prior to course start date
Translation service available at additional cost
Course fees include:
- Accommodation and all meals
- Five day rugby tuition
Please note: Cancellation six weeks prior to commencement of course will incur a penalty fee of 20% of the course fee. Cancellation within two weeks of course commencement is non-refundable.